Job Opportunity: Reading Tutor
Stemming from the success of ExpandED Schools, TASC was selected to collaborate with the NYC DOE and Harvard EdLabs on Middle School ExTRA (Middle School Expanded Day + Tutoring = Reading Achievement). At 19 participating schools, Middle School ExTRA offers 100% of 6th graders 2.5 more hours of learning time per day and gives students the time and opportunity they need to improve academic and life outcomes, preparing them to be on track to graduate from high school, college and career ready. In addition, targeted 6th, 7th and 8th grade students receive daily intensive tutoring.
MS ExTRA tutors will provide daily guided reading instruction to students in a small group setting five days per week. The guided reading instruction is designed to enhance a student’s comprehension and to foster a love of reading.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Tutors will instruct students daily in small group settings to supplement and enhance traditional in class reading/English language arts instruction.
- Tutors will prepare lesson plans in accordance with a set program curriculum as dictated by the individual needs of each student.
- Tutors will work daily with two or three groups of up to six students each, leading students through high-interest texts (novels, non-fiction chapter books, short stories, articles, etc.) using a guided reading curricular model.
- Tutors will coordinate with the campus-level site coordinator, classroom teachers, school administration, and parents to maximize student achievement.
- Tutors may have additional opportunities to share special interests or talents and work with students in enrichment areas in addition to small group reading instruction.
Required Education and Experience:
- Bachelor’s Degree, or currently enrolled college senior
- Avid reader who has a desire to elicit a passion for reading in young people
- Qualifying test score on a high school-level reading comprehension assessment
- Willingness to serve at a Bronx, Brooklyn (Bay Ridge or Queens (Far Rockaway) public middle school and commit to working Monday-Friday for approximately 15-20 hours per week) through the 2015-2016 school year
All tutors must undergo a fingerprinting/criminal background check.
Interested candidates should send a cover letter and resume to: firstname.lastname@example.org,
Subject: MS ExTRA Tutor
No faxes or phone calls, please. Only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.