Job Opportunity: Communications and Policy Manager
Every Hour Counts is a national coalition of citywide organizations that increase access to quality learning opportunities, particularly for underserved students. We are a leading voice in promoting expanded-learning systems, which provide learning and enrichment through after-school, summer, and other initiatives.
Every Hour Counts has three core strategies:
Influence Policy: We engage policymakers, practitioners and leading stakeholders in developing policy recommendations and solutions that embrace a holistic view of learning and support expanded learning systems-building.
Build Quality Practice: Test the feasibility of policy and practice recommendations and disseminate the findings and tools for replication through demonstration projects.
Support a community of practice: Disseminate promising practice and develop strategies to support jurisdictions in building after-school systems. Every Hour Counts engages in a variety of knowledge sharing activities to educate local, state and federal practitioners and policy makers about the value of systems-building and intermediaries and how to build them. We do this through a peer learning community, national institute, conference presentations, webinars, and convenings. We also provide technical assistance to communities looking to build systems.
Every Hour Counts is housed at ExpandED Schools in New York City. In addition to ExpandED Schools, the partner organizations include: After School Matters (Chicago), Boston After School and Beyond, Collective for Youth (Omaha), Family League of Baltimore, Nashville After Zone Alliance, Partnership for Children and Youth (Bay Area), Prime Time Palm Beach County, the Providence After-School Alliance, and Youthprise (Twin Cities). In addition to the ten core partners, Every Hour Counts has a learning community of 13 cities and regions around the country.
Reporting to the Executive Director of Every Hour Counts and housed within the President’s Division at ExpandED Schools, The Communications and Policy Manager will play a critical role in coordinating and conducting activities to support Every Hour Counts’ national communications and field-building strategy. The Manager will work closely with the leaders of the partner intermediary organizations, our national learning community and with policy organizations and foundations around the country. This is a rare opportunity to work with leaders in the education and expanded learning fields at the city, state, and national levels.
The Manager will be responsible for coordinating Every Hour Counts national communications and field-building strategy to support our national community of practice, comprised of 13 communities. The Manager will be lead our communications strategy by writing e-newsletters, overseeing our social media platforms, writing and editing blog posts, authoring policy briefs, planning our national institute, and conducting key operational tasks, including event planning, listserv and website support.
He/she must be able to work well with a wide variety of people and be skilled at managing multiple projects concurrently and with strong attention to detail. The Manager must be: a quick and eager learner, willing to receive feedback as well as take initiative, a strong writer, and a willing public speaker. Efforts will be made to support the professional growth and learning of the Manager in support of his/her career aspirations. Occasional travel is required.
Specific role responsibilities include (but are not limited to) the following.
Field-Building and Policy:
- Lead the development of a national learning community of 13 citywide expanded learning organizations.
- Provide research assistance on a range of issues related to afterschool programming, expanded learning, youth development, and education.
- Develop policy documents (briefs, case studies, issue papers) related to high priority issues for systems-building and expanded-learning.
- Support implementation of multi-city demonstration projects, and other special initiatives.
- Manage Every Hour Counts communications plan, including regular communications with the intermediary partners and national learning community member organizations, and regular updates to communications platforms such as the Every Hour Counts blog (Expanded Perspectives), website, listservs, and social media vehicles.
- Build meaningful relationships with entities and individuals among the Every Hour Counts coalition and beyond.
- Plan our national institute.
- Oversee content sharing activities at conferences, including proposals and presentation content.
- Coordinate a webinar series.
- Lead the development of a quarterly e-newsletter.
- Maintain the Every Hour Counts website, manage listserv content and databases, and track and expand usage of Every Hour Counts communications tools.
- Support the Director in staffing Every Hour Counts workgroups, including preparing meeting materials, recording meeting notes, and assisting other onsite activities as needed.
- Coordinate all aspects of special events and meetings, including scheduling, preparing materials, and follow-up
- Assist in the preparation of reports for funders.
- Bachelor’s Degree with 3-5 years of relevant work experience, master’s degree in public policy, communications or related field helpful.
- Excellent writing and analytical skills with ability to gather and synthesize information and perspectives from multiple sources into clear, easy-to-read, engaging formats.
- Excellent copy-editing skills.
- Demonstrated interest in and knowledge of youth development, education, and public policy; passion for expanded learning as a social justice issue.
- Strong interpersonal skills, including ability to work collaboratively with multiple partners on project assignments in-person and virtually.
- Highly organized and ability to undertake multiple projects simultaneously, track detailed project tasks, set priorities, and ensure deadlines are met.
- Demonstrated ability to take initiative, problem-solve, and work independently.
- Comfortable working in a fast-paced office environment.
- Strong computer and social media skills, especially Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and conducting internet-based research.
Interested candidates should forward a cover letter, resume and salary requirements to: email@example.com,
Subject: Communications and Policy Manager – [Candidate’s First and Last Name].
No faxes or phone calls, please. Only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.