ExpandED Options Student Application
Want to learn more about ExpandED Options?Email Candace Brazier-Thurman
or call (646) 943-8780
In ExpandED Options you will participate in a credit-worthy apprenticeship to prepare you to work with kids over the summer. In the apprenticeship you will:
- Learn the fundamentals of a field
- Learn how to instruct and coach groups of young people
- Have the opportunity to practice teaching after school
- Have the ability to earn a paid summer internship
Do I qualify for ExpandED Options?
To be selected for ExpandED Options, you must be enrolled in a participating high school and:
- Be 16 years or older by July 1, 2017 for non-lifeguarding programs
- Be 17 years or older by July 1, 2017 for lifeguarding programs
- Have an interest in working with elementary and middle school kids
- Have an interest in your apprenticeship subject
- Be able to commit to attend the spring apprenticeship training and summer internship work schedule
There is no prior experience necessary.
What is the time commitment?
- Depending on the apprenticeship, ExpandED Options will meet a few times a week after school or on weekends.
What do I get for successfully completing the spring apprenticeship?
- 1 elective credit, art credit, or physical education credit
- Placement in a paid summer internship
What does the summer internship involve?
- Interns will be placed at summer camps around NYC
- Internships will begin in late June and last 6-8 weeks, depending on the site
- Interns will work 20-25 hours per week
- Interns will earn a minimum hourly wage of $11 for the summer internship.
Only students who successfully complete the apprenticeship will receive a summer internship.
See how ExpandED Options can expand your high school experience: